Toe Pain

I have come to the conclusion that I have gout. A friend at work mentioned that gout might be the cause of the pain in my toe. I proceeded to look up gout on WebMD, and sure enough, one of the most common symptoms is severe pain in the big toe. I think I will set up an appointment with Dr. Vinton to discuss possible treatments. I wonder if this is the cause of all of the foot pain that I've experienced in the past few years. I sent Sharon the link to the WebMD site, and she agreed with my self-diagnosis. There was even a diagram of a big toe online!

Gout is a type of arthritis. It often results in acute attacks of pain in the big toe in the middle of the night, which corresponds perfectly to what I've experienced. Gout is a disease that affects 2 million Americans, and it appears that I am one of them. Since gout can affect several different joints, including the wrists, I have a feeling that I have experienced acute attacks of gout in the past. I remember my wrists being so sore at times that I could hardly bend them. The pain attacks generally last approximately two weeks, and then the joint feels normal again.

Uric acid is a waste product formed by the breakdown of purines in the body. An increased level of uric acid in the bloodstream can cause gout. Being overweight, as I am, and drinking a lot of alcohol, as I have in the past, both increase the risk of gout.

Gout has been linked to hereditary factors. I think I remember my mom telling me that Uncle Gene, and possibly Uncle Rob, have had gout.

Untreated gout can lead to joint damage.

Ibuprofin is suggested as a possible relief of pain, and for severe cases, prednisone may be used. However, both of these types of drugs can have side effects. The key to controlling gout on a long term basis is keeping uric acid levels within an acceptable range. Drinking a lot of water can also help with gout, because fluids help dilute the uric acid in blood and urine.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hello Blogger,

After reading your blog "Toe Pain", I believe you will find my site on arthritic pain to be very helpful.

To give you an idea of our wide range, some of the recent searches that found our site included ...

osteoarthritis pain
arthritis pain remedies
arthritis pain laser therapy
cure arthritis pain
arthritis home remedies
arthritis finger pain

I have many great articles on all aspects of managing arthritic conditions.

Kind Regards
Anonymous said…
Hello Blogger,

After reading your blog "Toe Pain", I believe you will find my site on arthritic pain to be very helpful.

To give you an idea of our wide range, some of the recent searches that found our site included ...

osteoarthritis pain
arthritis pain remedies
arthritis pain laser therapy
cure arthritis pain
arthritis home remedies
arthritis finger pain

I have many great articles on all aspects of managing arthritic conditions.

Kind Regards

Popular posts from this blog

The agony of victory....a.k.a. picking my jaw up off the floor

"The Axis of Evil and the Doctrine of Preemption Three Years On"

Removing a password that was created in a previous version from an Access 2007 database