Juanitos

This past Tuesday, Sharon and I continued our tour of North Kansas City eating establishments at Juanitos, located on Armour Road. Juanitos is a small Mexican restaurant. I was happy to learn that we had chosen to visit on Taco Tuesday.

The menu had all of the normal Mexican choices, but it seemed to lack on lunch specialties or combination plates. For example, my tacos did not come with any rice or beans. I ordered 4 tacos, which was enough for me, since we also had chips, salsa and an appetizer cheese dip. Our total bill was approximately $25 with the tip.

Our waitress was pleasant, and prompt. According to the menu, only the first basket of chips was on the house, but she kept bringing us chip refills for free. The chips and salsa were good. Sharon wasn't crazy about the salsa, and it wasn't the best I've ever had, but it was satisfactory. Both Sharon and I liked the cheese dip, which I thought was similar to the cheese dip at 54th Street.

The restaurant itself was small, and actually quite quaint. I could foresee a problem if a lot of people were smoking, because the whole restaurant was a smoking section. Fortunately, we didn't have to worry about this, as only a few people were smoking, and it really didn't bother me. There were probably only about 10 tables in the whole restaurant, and then some seats at a bar. It was decorated with Mexican type decorations, like pinatas, sombraros, etc.

We arrived a little before noon, which was a good time. After we chose our table, it started to get quite crowded. However, the service never lagged.

I was actually expecting ethnic Mexicans to be operating the restaurant, but there were no Mexicans working. I wonder if Juanita owns the place, and if she is Mexican?

Like the chips & salsa, the tacos were good. They were not the best or worst tacos I've ever had. They were average, and satisfying. I thought that they were perhaps a little bit pricey for their size, but this was tempered by the fact that I was getting them two-for-one on taco Tuesday. I can't remember what Sharon had for her lunch, but I know that she thought it was good.

We were in and out of the restaurant in approximately 40 minutes.

Comments

Anonymous said…
It's me, Sharon again. I heard the waitress say that Juanito makes his own guacemole when avocados are in season, so maybe he does own the place. Just wanted to add that. :) And the queso was to die for! YUM!

Popular posts from this blog

The agony of victory....a.k.a. picking my jaw up off the floor

"The Axis of Evil and the Doctrine of Preemption Three Years On"

Removing a password that was created in a previous version from an Access 2007 database