Ramblings

--Well, it is now August 18. I began the below post on July 29, but never got around to completing it. I'll post it anyway. I'm tired of it sitting around as an uposted entry.--

I can't believe it is nearly the end of July. This month has flashed by quickly. I feel like I have gotten some key projects accomplished in July. At least I have made progress on some projects. I'm going to list out my monthly goals that I assembled at the beginning of the month, and some commentary on how I feel I've pursued each goal. Unlike the previous couple of months, I did not priortize my July goals. I never got around to it. Not exactly proactive. I do think that prioritizing helped me in previous months, and I will prioritize my August goals. Here are my July goals:

1. Vocabulary: This is a persistent goal of mine from month to month. I never seem to spend as much time learning and practicing words as I would like to. I have experimented with different methods of learning new words, and practicing their uses. These methods have included having Merriam-Webster's Word of the Day e-mailed to me, recording words/definitions/example sentences on my tape recorder and listening to the playback, writing poetry with new vocabulary and underining new words that I come across in my reading, then writing the word/sentence/definition down in my journal. I've even written some vocabulary down in my blog. However, I just don't feel like I spend enough time each day on new words. It is hard for me to remember things anyway, especially vocabulary that I am not used to using. I would like to get into the habit of using new words in speaking and writing. The blog is an excellent medium for the writing portion. In July I created three sheets for my planner, one for verbs, one for adjectives and one for nouns. I thought that seperating new words by their type of speech may help me to more easily remember them within their context. This could also provide a quick reference to look at these words on a daily basis, even though I didn't do this regularly in July. In fact, I didn't add too many words to any of the lists in July. I can try to improve upon this in August. I can also sign up for the Merriam-Webster Word of the Day again.

Regular Sleep/Track: I did not do well on this goal in July. I paid for it by being tired often and late for work on numerous occasions. I tracked my sleep a few nights, but did not do it regularly. My purpose for tracking my sleep is to be able to evaluate my energy level on a daily basis with respect to how I slept the night before. It would also allow me to see a pattern, much like I look for patterns in my monetary spending by tracking my outflows. I took an Ambian pill a couple of nights in July, including last night, to ensure that I would not be laying awake in bed at night. However, I probably did not go to bed before 10:30 on more than 4 occasions the whole month. That is a wild guess, but I'm sure it is fairly accurate. I should be going to bed between 10:30 and 11:00 each night, so that I can get to sleep by 11:30, and therefore sleep 8 hours prior to getting up at about 7:30. These should be my target times, but I don't achieve them often. I need to cut out naps, especially naps in the middle of the workday. This is a waste of time that could otherwise be spent on something constructive. Staying up a little bit later on the weekend should be o.k., but I should be careful to not oversleep. In other words, if I am up until 2:00 on a friday night, I should not sleep past 10:00 on saturday. Too often, I will sleep until noon, or nap extensively during the day. This only throws off any regular pattern that I may be trying to establish.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The agony of victory....a.k.a. picking my jaw up off the floor

"The Axis of Evil and the Doctrine of Preemption Three Years On"

Removing a password that was created in a previous version from an Access 2007 database