The Economist endorses John Kerry

While clearly taking the "lesser of two evils" approach, to my surprise, The Economist endorsed John Kerry's election for president. I was hoping that this would be the case, because I seem to agree with the Economist's opinions most of the time. It is a moderately conservative publication from London, with a unique perspective on American policy. One of The Economist's biggist qualms with President Bush is identical to mine; his close relationship with the extremist religious right. The magazine also takes issue with his handling of the complex situations in Iraq, even though it strongly supported the rationale for initial invasion. It makes a lengthy argument which I will not try to fully summarize here. However, it makes me feel better about voting for John Kerry because it clearly articulates reasons for its choice. This is something that I sometimes feel I am not able to do, so I appreciate reading the opinion of respected publications, whether I agree with them or not. This is why I continue to read the opinion pages of the Wall Street Journal, even though I probably disagree with at least 75% of their arguments. It is their clear articulation of their arguments that I respect.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The agony of victory....a.k.a. picking my jaw up off the floor

"The Axis of Evil and the Doctrine of Preemption Three Years On"

Removing a password that was created in a previous version from an Access 2007 database