The Flu

I'm just getting over it, or something similar to it. Ouch! This was one rough week. I started to feel bad last Sunday, and am just now starting to feel back to normal. Unfortunately, I missed my woodcarving class on Saturday. I'll try to find one somewhere else so I don't have to wait until the Spring. I did manage to take Dominic to see the Incredibles on Friday night, which was an accomplishment, considering I felt like the smashed popcorn on the floor.

As I lay in bed Saturday morning, half-asleep, half-drugged, but still suffering, I thought about the connections of my illness to a theme from Brave New World. In Brave New World, disease had been eliminated. Nobody got sick. But, was this a good thing? Certainly, it seemed like it would be a good thing for me last week if nobody ever got sick. But, I'm not so sure. It's a hard question. There are many implications that come along with eliminating all sickness and disease. Overpopulation is one concern. However, I can't imagine not trying to become healthy, or trying to get other people healthy. If there was a magic drug that we could take (similar to Brave New World's Soma) that had no side effects, and immediately made us feel better, would it be ethical to take such a drug? All I can say is that if offered such a drug Saturday morning, I would have taken it in an instant. This doesn't necessarily mean that I think it would have been the right thing to do.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The agony of victory....a.k.a. picking my jaw up off the floor

"The Axis of Evil and the Doctrine of Preemption Three Years On"

Removing a password that was created in a previous version from an Access 2007 database