Pastures of Plenty, by Woody Guthrie

Harmonica, Guitar strumming folk song by Woody Guthrie. The song evokes an image of hard-working, poverty-stricken migrant workers that are possibly bitter, but have a pride in the products of their labor. It seems like Guthrie is singing to the Earth itself. Incidentally, I think that "Pastures of Plenty" would be a great name for a blog.

It's a mighty hard row that my poor hands has hoed;
My poor feet has traveled a hot dusty road;
Out of your dust bowl and westward we rolled;
And your desert was hot and your mountains was cold.

I worked in your orchards of peaches and prunes; (migrant workers)
Slept on the ground in the light of your moon; (homeless)
On the edge of your city you'll seen us and then; (apart from civilization)
We come with the dust and we go with the wind. (transience)

California and Arizona I make all your crops;
Then it's north up to Oregon to gather your hops;
Dig the beets from your ground, cut the grapes from your vine;
To set on your table your light sparkling wine.

Green pastures of plenty from dry desert ground;
From that Grand Coulee Dam where the water runs down; (irrigation of land)
Every state in this union us migrants have been;
We work in this fight and we'll fight 'til we win. (pride and persistence)

Well it's always we ramble that river and I; (once again, transience)
All along your green valley I'll work 'til I die;
My land I'll defend with my life if it be; (ownership pride in the land)
'Cause my pastures of plenty must always be free.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The agony of victory....a.k.a. picking my jaw up off the floor

"The Axis of Evil and the Doctrine of Preemption Three Years On"

Removing a password that was created in a previous version from an Access 2007 database