WSJ's Joe Morgenstern

Joe Morgenstern is the movie reviwer for the WSJ. His reviews are published in the Journal's Weekend Edition on fridays. I usually pick up the friday edition of the WSJ for the crossword puzzle (also located in the Weekend Edition), so I often read Mr. Morgenstern's reviews, which are always on the first page.

I confess to not being an expert in the art of the motion picture. In fact, I don't even know some of the technical terms that are bandied about by reviewers. In addition, I generally like most movies, and completely dislike very few of them (a notable exception to this last point was the movie Waiting to Exhale, one of the few movies that I actually wanted to leave the theater before it was finished.) To state it bluntly, I am completely unqualified to be a movie critic myself.

However, I don't feel inappropriate being a critic of the critics. Why are so many of them overwhelmingly negative? Is the movie industry in this day and age really in as bad a shape as the contemporary critics make it out to be? It seems to me that the critics are either looking for perfection or actually like to complain. Maybe writing a bad review makes for better press. In the case of Morgenstern, a bad review usually leads his column even if several other good reviews are included later down the page. His latest diatribe is against Ocean's 12, a movie that I have been looking forward to seeing. The problem is, after reading a bad review, it is hard to go to see the movie without thinking of the review. I keep telling myself that I'm going to avoid reading reviews alltogether, but I find myself perusing through them time after time. I have no one to blame but myself. But, I wish Mr. Morgenstern were a little bit more positive about the movies.

I was reading on a website, Metacritic, about how Mr. Morgenstern rates movies lower than the average on a consistent basis. Interestingly, people seem to find this appealing. In the comments section of the webpage, Mr. Morgenstern is praised

In contrast, I like Roger Ebert, and I usually agree with his opinion.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The agony of victory....a.k.a. picking my jaw up off the floor

"The Axis of Evil and the Doctrine of Preemption Three Years On"

Removing a password that was created in a previous version from an Access 2007 database