Row, row, row your boat....

Since I have not been lifting weights regularly (or, at all, for that matter), I thought rowing would help me to gain some upper-body strenght while simultaneously getting a good cardiovascular workout. I have been rowing regularly (approx. 2 times per week) since about mid-October 2005.

If there is a harder and more complete workout than rowing, I have never done it! I feel completely fatigued after rowing for 30 minutes. It reminds me of two-a-day football practices in the humid Augusts of southeast Iowa. I have been rowing on the Concept 2 rowing machines at my gym. Concept 2 actually has a good website where you can read all about rowing, track your rowing workouts and even have yourself ranked worldwide. My ranking is 295 out of 794, which I think is pretty good, considering I have hardly ever rowed, and I'm assuming that most people that log their workouts are fairly serious about rowing. It will be fun to see if I can move up in the rankings. I have noticed that it is damn hard to improve my distance. My best effort is 7580 meters in 30 minutes. It is difficult to improve even a few meters.

I'm also trying to run a few times a week. I have a goal of running in a 5K every month this year. I'm not sure what the viability of that is, but it will be fun trying. My January run is the Groundhog Run in the caves of Kansas City.

Maybe by 2020 I'll be ready for the Ironman triathalon.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The agony of victory....a.k.a. picking my jaw up off the floor

"The Axis of Evil and the Doctrine of Preemption Three Years On"

Removing a password that was created in a previous version from an Access 2007 database