Hoops

I've never been a big basketball person. I like to follow the Hawkeyes, but I could really care less about the NBA. I haven't really followed the NBA at all since the Michael Jordan era, and I didn't even follow it all that closely at that time. I didn't play basketball in high school. However, over the years, there have been a few occasions where I played pick-up basketball semi-regularly. When I worked at UIHC in Iowa City, we had a group of guys that would play at least one game a week, either at lunchtime or after work. I've never been what I would consider above average, but I might have reached the average level. For the first time in over a year, I played a game of basketball on Friday. At my gym, there are pick-up games at noontime and after work. I have been looking to get a little bit more variety in my workouts. I have been rowing, running and playing racquetball, and I don't want to get burned out on any of those exercises. I thought some competitive basketball would be a good alternative. Man, was I sore Saturday. Even though I've been getting plenty of cardio exercise over the past couple of months, I was obviously using some muscles on Friday that have been laying dormant for some time. I didn't play too badly. I tried to play inside as much as I could. Fortunately, we were playing half court on Friday. I played again today--full court. My outside shot is horrible, although I did make a three-pointer to win our first game. My problem is, I don't really understand much about picks and screens. Never have. I understand the concept, but I have no idea where I am supposed to be. So, I normally just run around and try to make a play on the ball. I've concentrated on trying to be a good rebounder so far, but I've made my share of shots also. I'd like to play at least once a week. It seems like a good group of guys that play competitively, but aren't assholes about anything. When playing at the Fieldhouse in Iowa City, there would invariably be an idiot that thought he was the second coming of Jordan. I don't mind playing with ball hogs. But, I don't like people bitching and screaming at me when I do something stupid. My elbows tend to get a little out of control around those types of morons. Anyway, we'll see how my new hobby progresses.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The agony of victory....a.k.a. picking my jaw up off the floor

"The Axis of Evil and the Doctrine of Preemption Three Years On"

Removing a password that was created in a previous version from an Access 2007 database